On my forray to the Cleveland Botanical Garden earlier this week, I was surprised to see Cherry Blossom trees! And they were in full bloom! While we don’t have the profusion of these lovely trees that Washington, DC has, the few we do have are just as stunning. Now that I’ve had a little time to process some of the photos from a few days ago, here are a few of the Cherry Blossoms for your enjoyment! 🙂
This year marks the 100th anniversary of the Cherry Blossom Trees in Washington, DC. As a gift of friendship, Japan sent 3020 of these beautiful trees to the US in 1912. The first two Yeshino Cherry trees were planted on the northern bank of the Tidal Basin by Mrs. Helen “Nellie” Taft (wife of President William Howard Taft) and the Viscountess Chinda, wife of the Japanese ambassador. After the planting, Nellie presented a bouquet of American Beauty roses to the Viscountess. (Those two trees still stand on 17th Street near the John Paul Jones statue.) Today there are 12 species of Cherry Blossom trees and about 3750 trees now grow around the Tidal Basin and the Washington Monument area.
The Cherry Blossom Tree connection with Ohio is that Nellie Taft hails from Ohio, and the National First Ladies’ Library is in Canton, OH, about an hour’s drive south of Cleveland. On June 25, the library is sponsoring an elegant high tea, known as Helen Taft’s Cherry Blossom Tea. Visitors will be able to enjoy tea and chat with “First Lady Helen Taft” (historical re-enactor) as she reminisces about the Cherry Blossom Trees and tells her life story.
Helen Taft’s Cherry Blossom Tea will take place between 10:00am and noon on Saturday, June 25, at the National First Ladies’ Library at 205 Market Ave. S., Canton, OH. Reservations are required, and the cost is $35. For more information, call 330-452-0876 ext. 307.
I wish to acknowledge Pamela Martens, the Cleveland Travel Examiner, for the information provided here on the Helen Taft Cherry Blossom Tea. http://www.examiner.com/travel-in-cleveland/helen-taft-s-cherry-blossom-tea-offers-history-and-elegant-refreshment
If any of you are able to attend the tea, please blog about it and let the rest of us know how it was! Have a glorious day, and enjoy the Cherry Blossoms! 🙂
- Cherry Blossoms in Virginia… (sweetdreamzztextiles.wordpress.com)
- Science, Care Preserve D.C.’s Original Cherry Trees (baltimore.cbslocal.com)
- [ au inflorit ciresii ]] (decorabilitate.wordpress.com)
- Cherry Blossom Trees In Full Bloom For Its Centennial Celebration (baltimore.cbslocal.com)
- Spring Fling: Cherry Blossom Chic (iamglor.com)
- Cherry Blossoms Decorate the Capitol (fox4kc.com)
- Spring is Here! (laughingbunny.wordpress.com)
- Cherry Blossom on Instagram (gramfeed.com)
- I’m in love with a tree (sometimeslifejusthappens.wordpress.com)
- Cherry Blossom Bedroom, Blossom Bedroom (potterybarnkids.com)
- The Ultimate Cherry Blossom Tree House (styleandthestartup.com)
- Cherry Blossom Decorations, Paper Lantern Bedroom (potterybarnkids.com)
- The Best 6 Places to See Spring Bloom in NYC (inhabitat.com)